Friday, March 27, 2009

Hiding from God

“Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence?” Ps. 139:7 (NIV)

One afternoon while I was busy with two of my grandchildren, I suddenly realized that the third one, my two year old grandson, was missing. I made a quick survey of their small home and discovered that he had quietly, unobtrusively hidden in the hall closet and closed the door. My push against the door met with some resistance because he was sitting on the floor munching away on an open jar of peanuts. I guess he was hungry, but he also did not want anyone to find him in his closet hideaway.

How often do we try to hide from God? We all face challenges in life, such as eating disorders, uncontrolled anger or depression. We may feel like hiding in a closet hoping God will not see our pain and sinfulness.

At times, I feel that if I continue to hide my sins or uncomfortable thoughts from Him maybe He will not notice and will leave me alone. In Psalm 139, David reminds me that no matter where I go or how far I try to run from God, “His right hand will hold me fast.” Ps.139:10b (NIV). Why? Because God is a loving, compassionate Father, who created and knows me, and desires to pursue and to build a relationship with me.

He always knows where we are, and He will never leave nor forsake us. We can trust Him and come out of hiding.

Dear Father: Thank You for reassuring us of Your love and for helping us see that we can openly trust You with painful feelings. In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2009 Diane E. Hussey

2 comments:

Christy said...

Well written!

Dawn said...

I surely enjoyed reading this. It is only human nature to hide when we are doing something wrong. We needed to be reminded that we cannot hide from God. But we keep trying. Nice job.